After the passing of Ms. Lucille, I was questioned about whether the correct spelling of her maiden name was Grubb or Grubbs. In early census record, the name is usually spelled Grub or Grubb. Over the years it evolved into Grubbs.
Although some families use the early spelling and some choose to use the latter, most in this area are descendants of William Debarron Grubb (1811-1895) and his wife Nancy Dodd (1807-1877), both born in Virginia. They migrated to Tennessee about 1848, traveling by oxcart with their five children who were also born in Virginia.
(1) Mary Susan (1838-1856) who married a Mr. Eaves.
No further information on Mary.
(2) Jemima C. (1840-1930) who married William D. Adkins (1831-1907) in Weakley county in 1857.
From family history–Jemima is remembered as being a small woman who always wore a black dress and black bonnet. She was buried in a black dress and bonnet alongside her husband at the Grubb family cemetery. According to 1900 census, they had no children.
(3) Elizabeth Ann (1842-1900) who married Asa Clifford Matheny (1835-1898) in Weakley County in 1869.
The second wife of Asa, they were parents of sons Beverly, James, Henry, and daughter Nancy. Asa’s children by first wife Katheryn Johnson-William, Susan, Lucy and Obe. Elizabeth and Asa are buried at Concord Cemetery near Latham.
(4) Benjamin Alfred (1843-1923) who married Susan Martha Tucker (1852-1918) in Weakley County in 1868.
Benjamin A. Grubb was a Pvt. Co H, 33 Inf. Regt. in Confederate Army during War Between the States and fought in Battles of Shiloh, Perryville, KY and Chattanooga.
Benjamin Alfred and Susan were parents of ten children: James; Nancy Elizabeth who married W. L. Howard; Joseph; Benjamin Silas who married America Valera May Bowlin; William; Valeria C. who married Tobe Bowlin; Cynthia; Edna who married Mr. Thomas; Neal Lester who married Lula Mae Eaves; and Susan Annie who married J. C. Glasgow.
(5) Edward H. (1846-1898) who married Delaware (maiden name unknown) (1847-1901)
Edward and Delaware were parents of six known children: Susan Adeline; Robert L; Mary Ann; Alfred W.; Albert H; and Edwin Coleman who married Maggie Lee Wilson in Weakley County in 1898.
Edward and Delaware Grubb are buried at Grubb family cemetery.
Edwin Coleman (1879-1967) and Maggie Lee (1882-1969) Grubb were parents of Ela Flois who married Tobe Mansfield; Claud who married Alta Watts; Seymore; Reubin who married Estelle Puckett; Lucille Delaware who married Riley Rainbolt; and L. C. who married 1st Clinton Caldwell,and married 2nd Hubert Puckett. She is the only surviving child.
Edwin C. and Maggie Lee Grubb are buried at Matheny Grove Cemetery.
(Note: Although family records state that many of the early burials were at the Grubb family cemetery, it’s location could not be determined. As some of these family members do have head-stones at Thompson Cemetery on Boydsville Road, it is likely they are the same.)
According to family history, Debarron and Nancy’s journey from Virginia to Tennessee took six weeks. The family settled on the Boydsville Road probably in or near the Fancy community.
The sixth child of Debarron and Nancy Grubb, Sarah Jane Grubb (1848-1918) was born after the family arrived in Tennessee. She married William A. Thompson (1839-1910) in 1866. They are buried in Thompson Cemetery.
Sarah Jane and William A. Thompson were parents of sons Benjamin A. and Albert S. (Burke) and a daughter Nancy A. who married Edmund A. Stow.
William A. Thompson was a Confederate soldier; he also served four terms as sheriff of Weakley County.
Nancy and Ed Stow were parents of Annie Laura; William Monroe (Buck); Sarah Patience; Lydia; Susan Ethlene;
Pearl Irene; and a child who died in infancy.
Debarron Grubb, known as “the Ole Dutchman,” and his wife were buried in the Grubb family cemetery.
Debarron Grubb was postmaster of the Black Oak post office from October 17, 1855 until September 22, 1866. Black Oak is one of three post offices listed in the 5th District in the 1860 census record, the other two were Elm Tree and Boydsville. (The Palmers Store post office was discontinued in January 1855 and was reinstated in July of 1874 as Palmersville).
Historians and genealogists have tried for years to pinpoint exactly where the “Black Oak” Post Office would have been, a query that may never be answered with authority. My personal belief is that it was somewhere between the Fancy community on the Boydsville Road and the crossroads where the Boydsville Road meets the Latham/ Palmersville Road.
The Boydsville Road beginning at Boydsville on the Kentucky/Tennessee state line and continuing through Sprouts Levee to Dresden is one of the oldest roads in Weakley County and is still widely traveled.
Compiled Information from Weakley County History & Families, Pansy Baker, Census Records, Cemetery Records, Tennessee Marriage Records; Various Family Trees on Ancestry, Debarron Grubb Family Bible Extracts, Tennessee Postmasters, and personal research.